Transform Your Career and Your Workplace as a Trained Occupational Safety Practitioner
NOW ONLINE OR ON-SITE! — Upcoming offerings start August 16, Sept. 20
LEARN MORE—View this semester’s info session recording
- Designed as an entry level course, as well as for the experienced safety professional who needs a refresher
- Taught by an Authorized OSHA Outreach Trainer
Certified Occupational Safety Specialist® (COSS) is an intensive curriculum-based training course that is recognized nationwide for its rigorous standards and outstanding curriculum. Whether you want to transform your workplace or your career, the COSS course is the most effective method for the safety practitioner to achieve both.
Upon successfully completing the program, participants will obtain the nationally recognized COSS® designation which is endorsed by the American Association of Safety Councils and the American Council for Construction Education.
The University of Delaware partners with the Delaware Valley Safety Council to offer this program.
The only prerequisite for the COSS program is a high school diploma or equivalent. Each class has a mix of non-experienced, first-time safety personnel as well as safety professionals who have been in the safety field for over 20 years. Regardless of the number of years of experience you have in safety, everyone leaves the COSS class with a wealth of knowledge!
On-site class format
In-person COSS courses are offered at select locations. On-site classes meet for one full week, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. The COSS certification exam is administered on the final day of class.
Online class format
Virtual COSS courses are offered in real-time during live classes with our expert COSS instructors. The week-long course features the same innovative and rigorous curriculum as our in-person COSS training with digital coursework that includes daily compliance moments and proctored exams.
Students participate in a live 6-hour online session via Zoom video conferencing Monday through Friday. Live sessions begin at 8 a.m. Central Time (9 a.m. Eastern). After each session Monday through Thursday, students can work on their own time to complete daily exercises and readings. On the final day, students will participate in an additional 2-hour Zoom session to complete final graded activities including the final exam, final compliance moment, and safety presentation.
Participation in the course will require the following:
- Computer with reliable internet access (laptops and desktop computers only)
- Optional: dual monitor setup or use of multiple devices (computer and mobile device)
- Web browser
- Webcam and microphone
- Zoom videoconferencing
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
Registration takes place through the Delaware Valley Safety Council (DVSC). For questions about registration—contact the DVSC at 1-856-558-8797 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ON-SITE – Certified Occupational Safety Specialist (COSS)
SCHEDULE: Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-5 p.m (Eastern)
LOCATION: UD Professional & Continuing Studies, 501 South College Ave., Newark, DE
REGISTRATION COST: $2,649, all course materials included. Lunch is included.
- September 20-24, 2021 — NEWARK, DE
- REGISTER NOW (on-site class)
ONLINE – Certified Occupational Safety Specialist (COSS)
SCHEDULE: Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-3 p.m (Eastern)
REGISTRATION COST: $2,099, all course materials included
- August 16-20, 2021 — ONLINE
- September 20-24, 2021 — ONLINE
- October 18-22, 2021 — ONLINE
- November 15-19, 2021 — ONLINE
- December 13-17, 2021 — ONLINE
- REGISTER NOW (online class)
- UD alumni discount or military discount is available, representing a 15% discount when enrolling in this program.
- GBCA (General Building Contractors Association, Inc.) members receive a 15% discount.
- Only one discount may be applied per enrollment.
- To apply discounts, contact Delaware Valley Safety Council directly at 1-856-558-8797 or email@example.com.
Additional Safety Training programs:
- Certificate for Occupational Safety Managers (COSM) Course
- SAF Frontline Safety Training (formerly called Safe Supervisor)
- back to Occupational Safety Training home