50th Annual Medical Aspects of Sports Seminar
Saturday, March 2, 2019
University of Delaware
University of Delaware Audion, Tower at STAR Campus, Newark, DE, 7 a.m.-4:15 p.m.
Successful prevention, evaluation and rehabilitation of sports injuries are crucial elements of any comprehensive athletic program. This one-day sports medicine conference covers topics related to the evaluation and rehabilitation of sports-related injuries to the upper and lower extremities. A special panel discussion will allow attendees to ask questions of our distinguished speakers.
Who should attend?
- Physical therapists
- Team and family physicians
- Athletic trainers
- Fitness club personnel
- School personnel involved in physical education, recreation and physical fitness programs.
The University of Delaware is recognized by the Board of Certification, Inc. to offer continuing education for Certified Athletic Trainers.
The purpose of this sports medicine seminar is to assist athletic trainers, physical therapists, sports medicine physicians, chiropractors and other healthcare professionals in the evaluation, management/treatment and rehabilitation of sports-related injuries. At the end of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Following are the learning objectives for the 2018 Medical Aspects of Sports Seminar:
- Target a throwing athlete’s issues and provide appropriate treatment interventions
- Implement shoulder endurance programs for a wide variety of patient populations
- Demonstrate the Y Balance TestTM for upper extremity rehabilitation and return to play
- Utilize posture and muscle-length testing in upper and lower extremity evaluation
- Understand psychological factors that influence injury
- Familiarize participants with mental imagery techniques and their role in rehabilitation
- Evaluate and treat post-concussion dizziness
- Implement vestibular rehabilitation techniques for post-concussion patients
- Apply evidence-based reasoning for application of instrument-assisted soft tissue treatment choices
- Properly apply instrument-assisted soft tissue massage
- Learning objectives for the 2019 event coming soon.
- Brandon DeSantis, MS, ATC
- Lynn A. Fishlock, MEd
- Keith A. Handling, MS, ATC, PT
- Daniel J. Watson, MEd, ATC
- Melanee Johnson, MS, ATC
- Nikki Lounsberry, MS, ATC
- Paul Lowry, MEd, ATC
- Kelly Stafford, MS, ATC
- Leyla Kuz-Dworzak, MS, ATC
Registration and Fees
The conference registration fee includes conference materials, continental breakfast and lunch. All conference materials and handouts are provided electronically.
This seminar is a continuing professional education program of the University of Delaware, co-sponsored by these University of Delaware departments and programs: