An intensive business and management workshop for the technical professional
Designed for current or prospective technical leaders wishing to improve their business acumen and leadership effectiveness, this two-day program is focused on the fundamental business and management skills needed to effectively meet the unique requirements for leading engineering and science professionals. This course uses case studies and projects relevant for engineers and scientists and emphasizes practical, immediately applicable skills and techniques.
Who should attend
- Managers of engineers and scientists looking to hone their business and leadership skills
- Engineers and scientists on a career path to develop into technical managers
- Cross-functional team leaders who interface with scientists and engineers
- Day 1 — Understanding Individual Behavior
- Personality modeling
- Attitudes and emotions in organizations
- Motivating for performance
- Managerial decision making
- Day 2 — Interpersonal and Organizational Dynamics
- Team effectiveness
- Leading others
Learner outcomes — This two-day program delivers the fundamental business and management skills needed to lead an effective technical team while also remaining synchronous with overall organization goals.
Continuing education credits — Upon successful completion of the program, students are awarded 1.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or 14 Professional Development Hours (PDHs).
Instructional materials — All instructional materials are included in the registration fee for this program.
Disability accommodations — Disability accommodations at the University of Delaware are designed to provide equal educational opportunities for all Continuing Education students. Reasonable accommodations are provided on a case-by-case basis with supporting documentation. Click here for details about requesting disability accommodations at the University of Delaware.
Accommodations — Be sure to book rooms early! Ask if the University of Delaware affiliated hotel rates are available for the dates you are requesting from the following hotels:
- Courtyard by Marriott – UD Campus Hotel – 400 Pencader Way, Newark, DE, 1-302-737-0900
- Embassy Suites, Newark – 654 S. College Ave., Newark, DE. 1-302-368-8000
- Homewood Suites – 640 S. College Ave., Newark, DE, 1-855-605-0320
What our participants have said — “I felt that this was the most useful outside course I have taken in my professional career. Being geared specifically toward science/engineer-minded people focused the course toward the different way of thinking.” — Engineering manager, pharmaceutical industry