Annual Medical Aspects of Sports Seminar
University of Delaware
|The next Medical Aspects of Sports Seminar is set for early 2022. Event details will be available in fall 2021.|
Successful prevention, evaluation and rehabilitation of sports injuries are crucial elements of any comprehensive athletic program. This one-day sports medicine conference covers topics related to the evaluation and rehabilitation of sports-related injuries to the upper and lower extremities.
- Group rate, student rate — Applies to 2 or more from the same organization; $80 student rate applies to all university and college students.
- Great location — Event takes place at UD’s new Tower at STAR (Science Technology and Advanced Research Campus)
Who should attend?
- Physical therapists
- Team and family physicians
- Athletic trainers
- Fitness club personnel
- School personnel involved in physical education, recreation and physical fitness programs.
The University of Delaware is recognized by the Board of Certification, Inc. to offer continuing education for Certified Athletic Trainers.
The purpose of this sports medicine seminar is to assist healthcare professionals – athletic trainers, physical therapists, sports medicine physicians, chiropractors, etc. – in the prevention, rehabilitation and return to play of sports-related injuries. At the end of this activity, participants should be able to
- Perform creative taping methods for various injuries to return athletes to competition as soon as it is medically safe;
- Implement current research to prevent injuries in overhead athletes;
- Understand the value of hydrotherapy in the comprehensive care of collegiate and NFL football players;
- Implement current research to conservatively manage Achilles tendinopathy in athletes;
- Understand differential diagnoses and appropriate treatment measures for chronic exertional leg pain;
- Understand the importance of utilizing performance technology in the prevention of injuries and improvement in athletic performance;
- Implement current research to improve post-operative muscle weakness through the use of blood flow restriction rehabilitation.
- Dan Watson, MEd, LAT, ATC, conference director
- Brandon DeSantis, MS, LAT, ATC
- Nikki Lounsberry, MS, LAT, ATC
- Kelly Stafford, MS, LAT, ATC
- Melanee Johnson, MS, LAT, ATC
- Paul Lowry, MEd, LAT, ATC
- Leyla Kuz-Dworzak, MS, LAT, ATC
- Mike Stant, MS, LAT, ATC
- Caroline Howard, MS, LAT, ATC
- Sam Korolev, MS, LAT, ATC
- Tiana McKim, MS, LAT, ATC
- Karissa Carty, MS, LAT, ATC
- Steven Browne, MS, LAT, ATC
- Stephanie Minite, MS, LAT, ATC
- Melanie Lu, MS, LAT, ATC
- Meghan Phelan
- Lynn Fishlock, MEd
Registration and Fees
The Medical Aspects of Sports registration fee includes conference materials, continental breakfast and lunch. All conference materials and handouts are provided electronically.
- Medical Aspects of Sports Seminar — $215
- Student rate for full-time matriculated students — $80
Registration coming soon.
This seminar is a continuing professional education program of the University of Delaware, co-sponsored by these University of Delaware departments and programs:
- Intercollegiate Athletics Program
- Department of Kinesiology and Applied Physiology
- Division of Professional and Continuing Studies