You don’t have to become formally admitted to the University of Delaware in order to register for credit courses.

You may enroll in courses offered during the day, evening or online as long as the courses are not restricted and prerequisites/corequisites have been satisfactorily met. Students taking undergraduate courses are activated as Continuing Education, Non-Degree (CEND) students, and those interested in graduate coursework are activated as Graduate College, Non-Degree (GCND) students. Courses taken non-degree status are included on the student academic record and may potentially count toward the completion of a degree upon admission/readmission. Students interested in admission to a graduate program may take a maximum of nine credits prior to formal admission, and they should consult with the academic department to ensure coursework taken prior to admission will apply.

Admission to the University of Delaware is competitive. Taking courses before you apply for admission can strengthen your application. Click here to explore the University’s degrees, majors, and requirements.

Some courses may have restricted enrollment. Any prerequisites or restrictions are listed with the course description. Typically, Continuing Education students may register for up to 7 credits (2 courses) per semester.

Click here to search for courses and view course descriptions.

If you would like assistance with course selection and registration, developing an educational plan, or the process for admission/readmission, take advantage of academic and career advisement services provided by the Professional and Continuing Studies ACCESS Center. Contact the ACCESS Center at or 302-831-8843.

  • Advisement—Continuing Education students receive academic advisement and registration assistance through the ACCESS Student Services Center.
  • Non-degree status—Continuing Education students are University of Delaware students who are not currently admitted into a degree program but are taking University courses. Continuing Education students may take courses during the day, evening, or online as long as the courses are not restricted and prerequisites/corequisites have been satisfactorily met. Courses taken through Professional and Continuing Studies are included in the student academic record and may be used toward the completion of a degree upon admission/readmission.
  • Maximum credit load—Continuing Education students may typically take a maximum of 7 credits during a semester or session.
  • Financial assistance—Continuing Education students are not eligible to use federal financial aid (FAFSA). They may, however, utilize private alternative loans and apply for Continuing Education scholarships. Please consult Financial Assistance for Continuing Education students.

    —a list of questions/concerns that you would like to discuss with your advisor. Know what you would like to accomplish during the meeting. This is your time to address anything you need to with your advisor.


    —your academic plan/progress. Make yourself familiar with the requirements for your degree and what you have completed and still need. If you are meeting to discuss registration for an upcoming semester/session, review the course offerings and have a list of potential courses. Be mindful of prerequisites and corequisites for courses.


    —how things are going academically so you and your advisor can discuss your academic plan. Honestly assess what is working and areas where you may need additional supports. If you are in doubt regarding the major you are currently pursuing, begin considering other alternatives and let your advisor know so she can assist you with this process.

  4. PLAN

    —to arrive a few minutes early for your appointment so that you will get the most from the meeting and not be rushed.

  • Time commitment—The overall time and work required to successfully complete an online course is comparable to that involved in completing a campus course.
  • Course schedule—Online courses are not self-paced. Online courses follow the same academic calendar as campus courses. While there is typically flexibility in viewing materials online each week, you will need to follow the schedule determined by the professor on his/her syllabus. Assignments and examinations will have completion deadlines.
  • Time management skills—To be successful, you will need to be self-disciplined and well organized, managing your time so that you may stay on track with course requirements. It is strongly recommended that you designate specific time periods each week to view course lectures and complete course requirements, so that you may stay up-to-date with your course.
  • Advisement—Questions regarding taking online courses may discussed with your advisor. Your advisor can assist with course selection and registration.

Schedule an appointment with your advisor. Together you can:

  • Explore undergraduate majors at UD. Through discussion, use of resources such as the Occupational Outlook Handbook, and career testing (Strong Interest Inventory), you can explore options and investigate whether to pursue a different academic path.
  • Discuss the academic requirements for individual majors and review how the coursework you have completed will count toward the requirements.
  • Review the criteria for specific majors:
  • Establish an academic plan. Plan what courses you will take in the upcoming semester/session, including prerequisite courses that are needed to move forward with your academic plan.
There is help available to you, so don’t get discouraged. Remember that if you don’t let others know you are having difficulty, they cannot help you. Some options for assistance are listed below.

  • Meet with the professor and/or teaching assistant to discuss your performance in the course.
  • Consult the Office of Academic Enrichment (AE) website to find out about tutoring. Options available include:
    • Individual tutoring
    • Group tutoring (available for some specific courses)
    • Drop-in tutoring
  • Consult the Academic Success at UD website for additional information on tutoring and other academic resources.
  • Contact your academic advisor to discuss the situation and options. Your advisor can help you assess whether you want to continue with the course, change your grading status, get additional support.
  • Use Academic Enrichment’s skills resources (in-person workshops and online modules) to get valuable techniques for addressing study skills and time management issues.

Students are able to withdraw themselves from courses through the Academic Penalty Deadline for the semester/session.

Before you make a decision about your course:

  1. Assess your performance
  2. Seek advisement
    • Talk to your advisor about your options. Your advisor is here to help you to problem-solve and come up with the best solution for YOU. The advisor cannot help you, if you do not let her know what you are experiencing.
    • Consider alternatives to withdrawing including changing grade status to Pass/Fail or Listener/Audit. Discuss these options with your advisor to determine what is best for you.
  3. Review UD’s academic deadlines
    • After the Free Drop/Add Period, students will receive a grade of W for any course that is withdrawn and they will be responsible for tuition and fees for the course. Additionally, they will be charged a $25 change of registration fee.
    • After the Academic Penalty Deadline, students need documented, extenuating circumstances to withdraw from a course or to change the grading for the course.
    • When in doubt regarding dropping/withdrawing and the procedures, contact your advisor.

Take action:

  • If you decide to remain in the course
    • Implement the steps you discussed with your professor and advisor to be successful.
    • Stay in touch with your professor and advisor through the rest of the semester for support, assistance, and guidance.
  • If you decide to withdraw from the course
    • Do so in a timely manner and be aware of the deadlines. Avoiding dealing with the issue will not make it go away.
    • If you need assistance with withdrawing from the course, contact your advisor or the Professional & Continuing Studies Student Services ACCESS Office (302-831-8843) immediately.

You may be considered for readmission with a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA). Depending on the major you are interested in pursuing, however, you may need a higher gpa and/or specific course requirements. You may consult UD’s “Change Majors/Minors” guidelines online.

If you are interested in readmission into a “restricted major,” you should consult with your academic advisor for the best course of action.

In order to be readmitted, you will need to complete UD’s online application for readmission. Readmission applications are accepted for the fall or spring semesters, as well as for the winter or summer sessions.

Consult the UD academic calendar to identify the deadline for submitting the readmission application for the term for which you are applying.