ProctorU is a secure, live, online proctoring service that allows exam-takers to complete their assessment at home. This is a convenient option for students who are taking courses at a distance. Students log in using their own microphone and webcam. During the fall 2020 semester, the University of Delaware will be paying exam fees for students. Visit ProctorU.com to see how it works and review technical requirements. UD Online will assign students to test with ProctorU based on certain criteria. With ProctorU, you can take your exam from any private location where you have a computer with a webcam, microphone and high speed internet service.
How does ProctorU work?
For each exam, you schedule an appointment through the ProctorU service. At the time of your exam, you will connect by video chat with a proctor at ProctorU who will check your identity and help you through the exam process. They will be able to see your screen as you take the exam and help with any technical difficulties. For more information, visit the University of Delaware’s ProctorU Portal.
- You must have a valid government-issued photo ID available in order to authenticate your identity. Approved forms of identification are a driver’s license, military identification card, state identification card or passport. You also must be able to secondarily authenticate your identity by either answering questions derived from a credit report or by a second photo ID, which can be your UD ID.
- Exams must be taken in a private, secure location. Libraries and coffeehouses are not acceptable. No other people are allowed in your testing area.
No breaks are allowed during your testing session.
All cell phones must be turned off and put away.
Preparing for an Exam
- If this is your first time using ProctorU, create an account.
- Exams are available 24/7 through ProctorU.
- You can test your computer and webcam at www.proctoru.com/testitout.
- Schedule your exam at least 72 hours in advance. Be sure to provide a valid UD email address and a phone number where you can be reached when you are taking the exam.
- We strongly suggest a wired rather than wireless internet connection for stability issues. For those students testing internationally, we have recently had problems with internet access, especially in China. Do not wait until the last minute to take your exam. If you run into issues, contact ProctorU and they will help you set up a proxy server.
- At the time of your exam, log in at https://go.proctoru.com/session/new.
- PC Users: A well-working computer running Windows XP or higher with 1024 MB of RAM or higher
- MAC Users: A well-working computer running Mac OS X or higher
- A webcam with 640 x 480 video pixel resolution (webcams built into laptops or monitors are acceptable)
- Headphones or working speakers connected to the computer
- A microphone connected to the computer (your webcam or laptop may already have one built into it)
- A reliable high speed internet connection (minimum 768 Kbps/384 Kbps Download/Upload)
- A web browser with Adobe Flash Player installed
- Authority to allow remote access to your computer and screen by one of ProctorU’s proctors (Chromebooks are not compatible with this feature)
- Certain exams require additional materials and devices.
- Fall 2020 semester
- To support online course continuity during the fall 2020 semester, UD will pay proctoring fees with ProctorU.
- Winter 2021 session
- Students will pay for ProctorU exams in the winter 2021 session.
- The charge you will be prompted to pay for proctoring is based on the length of your exam as noted by your instructor. Please visit www.proctoru.com/portal/udel for more information about fees.
- Late reservations: ProctorU offers convenient scheduling options to permit examinees to test whenever their schedule allows.
- Flex Scheduling allows test-takers to make an appointment at least 72 hours before their desired start time.
- Examinees may also choose either the Take It Now or Take It Soon options with the additional charges (+$12 or +$8, respectively) to be paid at their own expense. Take It Soon allows a test to be scheduled less than 72 hours, but more than four hours, before the desired start time. Take It Now allows a test to be taken on demand with no appointment needed.
- These options are for the convenience of the examinees, and the additional charges will not be billed to the institution. Any charges applicable to the examinees must be paid with a credit or debit card. The test-takers will be required to enter payment information on a secure page connected to a third-party card processor. The page is encrypted and secure, and ProctorU does not see or store any credit card data.
- Examinees will be required to reenter payment information each time new charges are incurred.
- Late reservations and “Take it Now” are subject to availability.
- Charges are subject to change.